This mushrooming has also raised concerns in the Legal and Judicial fraternity about the quality of Advocates such institutions are churning out in hundreds.
A list of law colleges across the India prepared by the Bar Council of India shows that Uttar Pradesh has the largest number of law colleges i.e. 350 law colleges & 1 of its less known universities, Shri Chatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University in Kanpur, has 88 law colleges affiliated to it, awarding law degrees.
Of the 88 colleges, 44 were given permission in just 2 years between 2014-16 to impart legal education. Another popular university from UP, Chaudhary Charan Singh (CCS) University in Meerut, has 101 law colleges offering LLB courses.
Even CCS University has affiliated a record – 54 colleges in merely 4 years between 2012-16 to impart degree-level courses.
The mushrooming of large number of law colleges in UP is due to a huge interest in the legal profession & are indicative of popularity of the legal degrees.
This has raised concerns in the judicial and legal fraternity about quality of advocates such institutions are producing out in hundreds.
Bar Council of India chairman Manan Kumar Mishra said that it’s a matter of concern that some of the universities have given too many affiliations to start the law colleges, we’re looking into some cases in UP & Andhra Pradesh.
He said that the responsibility largely lies with the state govts. which grant no-objection certificates to the colleges.
Elite or well known universities like the Banaras Hindu University, Allahabad University, Aligarh Muslim University have only 1 or 2 law colleges. Of the 1500 odd law colleges in the country, Madhya Pradesh is 2nd with at least 143 listed law colleges, followed by Maharashtra (139), then Karnataka (115) & Rajasthan (110).
Related News @ LatestLaws.in-
Read Laws @ LatestLaws.in-
- Legal and Professional Laws
- Abolition of Privy Council Jurisdiction Act,1949
- Acting Judges Act,1867
- Advocates Act,1961
- Advocates Welfare Fund Act,2001
- Apprentices Act,1961
- Architects Act,1972
- Civil Courts Amins Act,1856
- Commissions of Inquiry Act,1952
- Contempt of Courts Act,1971
- Continuance Of Legal Proceedings Act,1948
- Delhi High Court Act,1966
- Departmental Inquiries (Enforcement Of Attendance Of Witnesses And Production Of Documents) Act,1972
- Destruction Of Records Act,1917
- Gram Nyayalayas Act,2008
- High Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act,1954
- Judges (Inquiry) Act,1968
- Judges (Protection) Act,1985
- Judicial Administration Laws (Repeal) Act,2001
- Judicial Commissioner’s Courts (Declaration as High Courts) Act,1950
- Judicial Officers Protection Act,1850
- Judicial Proceedings (Validation) Act,1971
- Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act,2013
- National Judicial Appointments Commission Act,2014
- National Litigation Policy,2010
- Presidency Small Cause Courts Act,1882
- Provincial Small Cause Courts Act,1887
- Provisions of the Panchayats (Extention to the Scheduled Areas) Act,1996
- Right to Information Act,2005
- Special Tribunals (Supplementary Provisions) Repeal Act,2004
- Supreme Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Act,1958