Gauhati High Court
The Gauhati High Court was established on 1 March 1948 after the Government of India Act 1935 was passed. It was originally known as the High Court of Assam and Nagaland, but renamed as Gauhati High Court in 1971 by the North East Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971.
It has largest jurisdiction in terms of states, with its area covering the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, and Mizoram.
After Indian independence, the Assam Legislative Assembly adopted a resolution on 9 September 1947 that a High Court be established for the Province of Assam. In exercise of power conferred by the Government of India Act 1935, the Governor General of India on 1 March 1948 promulgated the Assam High Court Order, 1948, establishing the High Court of Assam. It was inaugurated on 5 April 1948 by Harilal Kania, the Chief Justice of India. Sir R.F. Lodge was sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the Assam High Court on the same day. The Assam High Court initially had its sittings at Shillong but shifted to Guwahati on 14 August 1948.
Later, when Nagaland state was created on 1 December 1963, the Assam High Court was renamed as the High Court of Assam and Nagaland. On re-organization of the northeastern region of India by the North Eastern Area (Re-organization) Act, 1971, a common High Court was established for the five northeastern states: Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura and the two Union Territories: Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh. It was again renamed as the Gauhati High Court.
Principal Seat and Benches
The principal seat of the Gauhati High Court is at Guwahati in Assam. The court has 3 outlying benches. These are:
The Kohima bench for Nagaland state (established on 1 December 1972)
The Aizawl bench for Mizoram state (established on 5 July 1990)
The Itanagar bench for Arunachal Pradesh state (established on 12 August 2000)
Former benches, now full-fledged high courts:
The Imphal bench (established on 21 January 1972) (Converted to a High Court in March 2013)
The Agartala bench established on 24 January 1972) (Converted to a High Court in March 2013)
The Shillong bench established on 4 September 1974)(Converted to a High Court in March 2013)
The Kohima Bench for Nagaland state
The Kohima Bench is located on the eastern slope of the Ministers’ Hill in the capital city of Nagaland, Kohima. The building where the Kohima Bench is, was earlier a Hostel which was renovated for the Kohima Bench. The inauguration of the Bench at the capital Kohima, was on 1 December 1972, by the Hon’ble Mr. Justice M.C.Pathak.
Permanent Judge for the State of Nagaland
Arup Kumar Goswami (1 April 2011 – Till Date)
The Itanagar bench for Arunachal Pradesh state
The Permanent Bench at Itanagar was inaugurated on 12 August 2000 by Hon’ble Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India, Dr. A.S. Anand at Naharlagun which is located about 13 km. from the capital town, Itanagar.
Permanent Judge for the State of Arunachal Pradesh
Pranoy Kumar Musahary (01/07/2008 – Till Date)retired now.
The Aizawl bench for Mizoram state
The Aizawl Permanent Bench is situated at the capital city of Mizoram, Aizawl. On 5 July 1990, the Aizawl Permanent Bench of the Gauhati High Court was established and inaugurated by the then Chief Justice of India, Mr. Justice S.B.Mukherjee
Permanent Judge for the State of Mizoram
The Chief Justice
Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre is the Chief Justice of the High Court following the transfer of Chief Justice A.K. Goel to the Orissa High Court as Chief Justice.
Judges from the High Court currently serving in the Supreme Court of India
Hon’ble Mr. Justice A.K. Patnaik (Former Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court) Hon’ble Mr. Justice Jasti Chelameswar (Former Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court) Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ranjan Gogoi (Former Judge, Gauhati High Court) Hon’ble Mr. Justice Madan B. Lokur (Former Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court)