Home / Judiciary / High Courts / Patna High Court

Patna High Court

Patna High Court
Patna High Court

Patna High Court

Patna High Court is the High Court of the state of Bihar. It was established on 3 February 1916 and later affiliated under the Government of India Act 1915. The court is headquartered in Patna, the administrative capital of the state.

History of Court

Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912. The foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on Monday, 1 December 1913 by His Excellency the late Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Sir Charles Hardinge of Penshurst. The Patna High Court building on its completion was formally opened by the same Viceroy on 3 February 1916. Hon’ble Sir Justice Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier was the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court.

Chronology

1912 – Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912.
1913 – Foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on 1 December 1913.
1916 – Patna High Court building completed on 3 February 1916. The High Court actually commenced work from 1 March 1916.
1948 – Patna High Court exercised jurisdiction over the territories of the Province of Bihar & Orissa till 26 July 1948, when a separate High Court was constituted for Orissa.
1972 – Patna High Court opened a Circuit Bench at Ranchi.
1976 – Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Permanent Bench.
2000 – Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Jharkhand High Court on November 2000, under the Bihar Reorganisation Act of 2000.
Patna High Court

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *