Currently SC has only 23 Judges against 31 sanctioned Posts.
Within days of receiving the recommendation, the Law Ministry has cleared the files for appointment of five Supreme Court judges.
They have now been forwarded to the Prime Minister’s Office which will subsequently send them for the President’s assent before they are notified.
This whole process is likely to be completed within the next week.
The Apex Court currently has 23 judges. With the new nominations, the apex court will have a strength of 28 judges.
It will continue to be still three short by 3 Judges of the sanctioned strength of 31.
Finally the names sent to PMO are-
- Rajasthan HC Chief Justice Naveen Sinha,
- Madras HC Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul,
- Chhattisgarh HC Chief Justice Deepak Gupta,
- Kerala HC Chief Justice Mohan M Shantanagouder and
- Karnataka HC’s Justice S Abdul Nazeer.
Related News @ LatestLaws.com-