Such children are publicly ridiculed by School Authorities, humiliated and treated unfairly in schools.
In a remarkable step, the Apex Court on Friday ordered State govts to consider issuing a notification under the Right to Education law, declaring children living with or affected by HIV as a ‘disadvantaged group’ deserving additional rights to help them gain free & compulsory education, i.e. a fundamental right.
A Bench of CJI J S Khehar & Justice D Y Chandrachud gave States 4 weeks to issue the notification under the Section 2 (d) of The Right of Children to Free & Compulsory Education Act of 2009.
This mandates the State Govts concerned to issue a notification that a child belonging to a disadvantaged group based on various reasons ranging from caste, cultural, social, geographical, linguistic, gender etcetera.
This Act makes education compulsory for the children between 6 & 14 years age group.
The Bench ordered that the States which’re unwilling to issue a notification under the Section 2 (d) should file an affidavit “explaining why they consider it unnecessary” to inform that the children living with HIV don’t belong to a disadvantaged group. Court noted that at least 11 States have already issued the notification.
This order was based on a petition filed by the NGO Naz Foundation (India) Trust, represented by senior advocate- Anand Grover, which highlighted that HIV-hit children face denial of admission, outright expulsion, breach of confidentiality to being assigned chores like cleaning toilets.
According to NACO estimates in 2012-13, around 20,90,000 people were living with HIV in 2011. Children of less than 15 years of age account for 7% percent (i.e. 1.45 lakh).
The NGO argued that India has a substantial no. of HIV +ve children who’re of school going age & need to be in school since schools play a crucial role in improving the prospects of such children, give them higher self-esteem, better job opportunities, economic independence & create prospects for lifting children out of poverty.
Read Laws @ LatestLaws.com-
- Education Laws
- All India Council For Technical Education Act,1987
- All India Institute of Medical Science Act,1956
- Central Universities Act,2009
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act,2014
- National Institute of Design Act,2014
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology Act,2007
- Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Act,2013
- Rajiv Gandhi University Act,2006
- Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act,2009
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA)
- School of Planning and Architecture Act,2014
- Science and Engineering Research Board Act,2008
- Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Layout Design Act,2000
- Sikkim University Act,2006
- South Asian University Act,2008
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology Trivandrum Act,1980
- Tripura University Act,2006
- University Grants Commission Act,1956